Viridor Waste Management
• Part of the FTSE 250 Pennon Group, every day Viridor takes what British homes and businesses throw away and transforms it into essential quality materials, resources and energy for customers across the UK and globally.
• Viridor works in partnership with more than 150 local authority and major corporate clients with 32,000 customers across the UK. The company has the UK`s largest network of 300+ advanced recycling, energy recovery and landfill diversion facilities with 600 waste collection vehicles securing materials for our network of assets.
• Viridor embodies the circular economy, managing seven million tonnes of recyclates and resources each year with 1.4 million tonnes of recyclate traded.
• It has specialist glass recycling facilities at Newhouse in Scotland and in Sheffield, England, with a plastic reprocessing plant in Skelmersdale, Lancashire.
• The company has eight energy recovery facilities (ERFs) in operation, three in commissioning and a fourth under construction across the UK city-regions.
• Viridor is one of the UK`s largest independent power generators from waste with 274 megawatts (MW) of operating capacity from ERFs, anaerobic digestion, solar and landfill gas (including joint ventures) at 31 March 2018. Viridor exported 1.5 terawatt hours of power during the year.
• In 2018/19, Viridor ERFs will receive 2.9 million tonnes of residual waste (including joint venture facilities), producing 242MW electricity, enough to power 400,000 homes (a city the size of Birmingham). Once the total committed ERF portfolio is completed in 2020/21 they will receive 3.2 million tonnes of black bin waste and provide 276MW of energy generation capacity.
• Viridor makes a substantial contribution to the green economy through investment in people and skills, employing more than 3,000 people.
• The company leads technology and innovation in the sector, investing in progressive opportunities such as the Department for business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS) sponsored Viridor and Highview Power energy storage project located at Pilsworth Landfill site.
• Viridor has 11 educational centres which received 17,496 visitors in the year ending 31 March, 2018.
• It is a founding signatory to the UK Plastics Pact, which aims to create a circular economy for plastics, a leading member of the Green Alliance Circular Economy Task Force and the All-Party Sustainable Resources Group.
Tel: 03453 000 307